Monday, June 14, 2010

Fifty Eight Years of Love

My parents were married for 58 years when my Father passed away.  As any marriage there were many ups and downs.  I often times wondered how they lasted?  Why they lasted?  How do you go through what they went through and stay together?  I also thought about the good times, the times they sat at the piano, my Dad slapping the keys and my Mom singing off key reminding me of the scene from "All In the Family" my Mom being Edith Bunker.  All the great trips we had.  The Holidays, the four wheelers, the boat trips, or even Dad just telling Mom almost every meal she cooked, "this is the best dinner you've ever made, Wanda."  And he really did mean it.
What I witnessed between my Mom and Dad when he was in Hospice, rocked my world, and changed my view on love, what it means, what it is, and what makes it last.  It was so amazing I sat down and wrote my thoughts in a poem like writting.

 April 22, 2005

Fifty Eight Years of Love 

Hands cradled his face
warm tender kisses
eyes forced open 
 at 
the sound of her voice
 her touch
her kiss 
I love you's exchanged until the last hour 
when the Lord came
 quietly 
peacefully
gently 
to 
call him home ... 
waiting until she 
left the room because he 
could not bare 
to leave 
her voice, her touch, her kiss 


No comments:

Post a Comment